Rainy Day Adventures
April showers bring may flowers... and also bored kids cooped up in the house. But it doesn't have to be that way! Rainy days are a great opportunity for you and your kids to be creative, have fun, and make memories together. Next time you have a rainy day, turn off the TV and computer/video games and try one of these ideas.
Rainy Day Activities:
- Build an indoor fort: Grab some extra sheets and use your dining room table or a couch to make an awesome fort. This blog post by a dad has some great ideas on how to make a sheet fort. Get some pillows and flashlights and read a scary story together. Or, pretend that you're camping and make 'smores in the microwave.
- Play a board game: A game of monopoly or pictionary will entertain your kids, or try one of our suggested family games.
- Make a creative snack: Get aprons for everyone and make a fun, healthy snack together. Some of our favorites are Popcorn Balls (try some different flavors, like chocolate, peanut butter, and caramel!), Apple Ladybugs, Smoothies (let the kids choose the fruit), or Oatmeal Cookies. Or, make a big pot of chili together and let the kids pick the ingredients (corn, spinach, beans, zuchinni, carrots, chicken, ham, and pasta are all great options!)
- Play pretend: Let your inner kid out and enter your children's make-believe world. Whether you're having tea with the princess, exploring the Wild West with your trusty horse (or maybe you're the trusty horse), or fighting aliens, your kids will love acting out their imagination with you. Dress-up costumes make it even more fun!
- Don't be afraid to get wet: While there's plenty of fun to be had inside, grab the rain boots and head outside. There's nothing wrong with playing in the rain and splashing in puddles! Just make sure the kids help with the laundry afterwards.
- Get out of the house: Pack the kids in the car and head over to your local library to check out a bunch of good books. Or, visit a local museum or go to the mall. An indoor rollerskating rink or bowling alley can provide hours of active fun.
What ideas would you add to this list of Rainy Day Adventures? Tell us on Facebook!