Spring Break Adventures
Your kids are on spring break, and if you've opted not to take a family vacation to save money but are struggling with how to keep them occupied, we've got some great ideas for you! These adventures won't cost you much (if anything at all) and will be a great way to engage with your kids in fun, educational, and active ways. If you can, take a day off from work to try one of our Spring Break Adventures with your kids!
Easy, Affordable, Educational Spring Break Activities:
- Go on an educational day trip: Take the kids to a local museum, art gallery, or petting zoo. Attend a community concert or drama production. Find a historic site and spend the day there (i.e. a Civil War battlefield, pioneer homestead, etc.). If you live within driving distance of your state capitol, take the kids for a tour of the seat of state government.
- Take on a project: Get your kids involved in planning and executing a project together. Plant a garden in your backyard or some pots. Build a birdhouse together (try this one from our friends at Dad Labs). Clean out the attic/basement/garage/closets (make it into a treasure hunt or some other silly twist so the kids don't get bored) and have a yard sale.
- Go exploring: Go on a hike and look for different varieties of trees, plants, birds, animals, or bugs. Let the kids document your findings with a camera and bring along a picnic lunch (or if you're really adventurous, camp overnight in a tent). Explore a nearby town or take a drive out to the countryside. Spread the fun by including other families from your neighborhood for a scavenger hunt.
- Be active: Go for a bike ride, play kickball in a local park, or play tag or catch in your backyard. Even something as simple as a walk around the block after dinner is a great way to be active and spend time together as a family.
- Volunteer together: Take a day of your spring break to serve at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter or clean up a local park. Participate in a local Habitat for Humanity project or put together a care package for the troops.