Celebrating Valentine's Day with Your Children
Dad, Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. You might think this is an over-commercialized holiday for couples, but it’s also a great opportunity to have some fun with your children and create some memories together. Here’s our list of ideas to make the holiday meaningful with your kids:
- Be Crafty: Help your kids make a card for mom. Need ideas to get you started? Find some inspiration from Disney’s FamilyFun gallery of homemade Valentine's Day cards.
- Bake together: Get out the pink and red frosting and sprinkles and decorate heart-shaped cookies together. Or, get up an hour early and make a special family breakfast together before heading off to school and work. Try your hand at some Valentine's themed recipes.
- Serve others: Make some extra cookies and cards and take them to a seniors’ home. Spend some time visiting elderly people who might not have a loved one to make them feel special on Valentine’s Day.
- Include everyone: If your child is taking Valentine’s Day cards to school, make sure he or she has enough to give each classmate a card so no one feels left out.
- Write a note: Write a note to each of your children and tell them what you love about them. It wouldn’t hurt to attach a piece of Valentine's candy to the note, too.
- Involve the kids: If you’re bringing flowers or chocolate home to Mom on Valentine’s Day, take the kids with you and let them help choose the arrangement.
Oh, and by the way Dad, you can (and should!) do these things any day of the year – not just on Valentine’s Day!