Cures for Summer Boredom
It's getting to that part of summer when your kids start whining, "Daaaaaad, I'm bored." Keep your kids - and yourself - entertained with these fun ideas that are guaranteed to bust summer boredom.
- Get Wet. You don't need a pool in your backyard to cool off. Slip 'n Slides are fairly low in cost and easy to set up. Or, make your own (just be sure to supervise all Slip 'n Sliding very closely). Looking for another way to cool off? Simply wash the car. You kids can wash the bottom half while you get the top - have a suds fight while you're at it!
- Try Something New. Learning something new is a great way to keep your kids' brains active during the summer. Pick up a new sport or hobby as a family - like basketball, baseball, golfing, fishing, or boating. In summer, the possibilities are endless.
- Look for Community Events. Many communities offer special summertime events. Check with your local community website or municipal center for outdoor movies, food and cultural festivals, fairs, and farmers markets.
- Take a Day Trip. Visit a nearby historical town or spend a day at a local museum or science center. Chances are, there are local treasures that your family hasn't explored, no matter how long you've lived in the neighborhood. Let your kids pick the attractions and help plan the trip.
- Think Big. Give older kids more involved projects that will last throughout the remainder of the summer. Your son can help you remodel a room or maybe your daughter can pick out flowers for your new landscaping plans. Observe your children's natural interests/talents and let them help accordingly. This will teach kids responsibility and planning and will give them a sense of accomplishment.
So, next time you start to hear "I'm bored" take one of the above ideas - or come up with your own - and run with it! You'll have fun, create memories, and keep boredom at bay.