Checklist for a Stress-Free Summer
We have a checklist to make sure you and your family are prepared and enjoy the summer!
Check Your Home
When temperatures rise, stay cool at home.
- Are your doors and windows properly sealed?
- Is your air conditioning running properly?
- Does your A/C unit need a new filter?
- Are rooms properly ventilated? Do you need new, or additional, fans?
- Save energy by programming your thermostat (warmer at times when no one is home) or by planting trees and other plants that provide shade.
- For more tips to stay cool and save energy, visit www.energy.gov.
Check Your Car
If you're going on a vacation, make sure the following is in order:
- Does your car have enough fluids, especially oil and coolant?
- How old is your battery?
- Are your tires properly inflated? This helps you get better gas mileage.
- Make sure you have the following items on hand:
- Plenty of water
- An emergency kit with flares, flashlight, jumper cables, and basic tools
- A first aid kit with bandages, Benadryl, antibiotics, and sunscreen. This is a must when traveling with kids.
- A steering wheel cover, seat covers, and window sunshades, which will help keep your car cool and comfortable for driving.
Check Your Relationships
Summer is a great time to reconnect with your kids.
- Have flextime? Use your extra hours to take a daytrip with your family or a long weekend. When’s the last day you spent time with your kids doing something special for them?
- Don’t have a lot of time or money? Keep it simple:
- Play cards – Go Fish and Uno are great for little kids
- Enjoy a sunset or catch fireflies
- Get wet at the community pool, or just with the backyard hose
- Go for a walk as a family or grab an ice cream cone
With a little planning and prioritization, your summer can be enjoyable and stress-free. Remember, it doesn’t matter if you go on a world-class vacation, or if you are just trying to keep cool with some popsicles and ice cream; it’s the little memories you make with your kids that will make their summer enjoyable.
photo credit: Daniel*1977