Making the Most of Any Relationship
Use these basic principles to grow closer to your wife. Not married? These ideas can apply to almost any relationship...and are particularly pertinent if you have a daughter.
- Little Things. Touch base during the day via e-mail, text, or phone call once or twice. Make sure to give her a peck before you leave and when you come home. It's the little things that help keep you connected.
- Let It Slide. Speaking of the little things...try to let them slide. No one is perfect, so make it a point to forgive/ignore the little, unimportant things that bother you.
- Don't Answer With Anger. Yelling and shouting will only escalate a conflict. Answer/respond in calm tones and make sure you take time to think before you respond.
- Listen. Actively listening (by showing signs that you are actually paying attention...the occasional nod or clarifying question/remark) is one of the most important ways you can show your wife that you value her as a person.
- Go on Dates. And not just around Valentine's Day. Plan a date before your wife suggests the idea. It doesn't have to be anything grandiose; as long as you are spending time together, your wife will appreciate the effort.
- Get Help If Needed. Don't be ashamed to seek out a counselor or a pastor...you'd probably be surprised at how many of your friends have seen one - it's quite common and sometimes it's necessary to bring in a third person to help you see each other's points of view.
Having a healthy marriage - or maintaining a healthy relationship with your child's mother - will not only keep you sane and happy, but more importantly, it's the best way to give your kids security and teach them what love and healthy relationships are all about.