Part of being successful in capacity building is simply knowing what resources and tools are already out there and utilizing them.
In this Helpful Links section, organized by category for your convenience, you'll have access to a variety of resources right at your fingertips. If you know of a website that should be added to this section, please email it to us.
- BoardSource -Dedicated to advancing the public good by building exceptional nonprofit boards and inspiring board service. BoardSource strives to support and promote excellence in board service, is the premier source of cutting-edge thinking and resources related to nonprofit boards, and engages and develops the next generation of board leaders.
- Board Cafe - A free electronic newsletter for members of nonprofit boards of directors.
- Center for the Study of Social Policy (CSSP) - A public policy, research and technical assistance organization. CSSP works with state and federal policymakers and with communities across the country. We rely on data, extensive community experience and focus on results to promote smart policies that improve the lives of children and their families and achieve equity for those too often left behind.
- Gliffy - Provides online diagram software
- Innovation Network - A nonprofit evaluation, research and consulting firm that shares planning and evaluation tools and know-how. They provide consultation, training and online tools.
- Policy for Results.org - An online set of tools for focusing policy strategies on achieving measurable results for kids and families. This website provides research-based policy strategies shown to achieve the targeted results.
Federal Grant Resources
- Grants.gov - A federal site where you can search for grants currently being offered and access grant writing resources.
- The Fatherhood, Marriage, and Families Innovation Fund - In 2005, Congress established a five-year, $150 million program of grants for Healthy Marriage and Responsible Fatherhood. 2010 is the last year of funding for these grants. With the current grants coming to an end, the Administration has proposed a more comprehensive Fatherhood, Marriage and Families Innovation Fund as a successor initiative.
- Foundation Center - A subscription based website that offers research on foundations, including family foundations and other tools for grant seekers.
- The Grant Station - An online funding resource for organizations seeking grants throughout the world. Providing access to a comprehensive online database of grant makers, as well as other valuable tools, GrantStation can help your organization make smarter, better-informed fundraising decisions.
- The Grantsmanship Center - Offers a variety of trainings such as The Grantsmanship Training Program, Earned Income Strategies and Competing for Federal Grants.
Personal & Professional Development
- Fred Pryor Seminars & CareerTrack - Offer one and two-day workshops that cover a wide variety of topics designed to improve your personal and professional skills. Workshops are offered throughout the year at reasonable prices and at locations all over the country.
- The Connections Project - Through webinars, training, and resources, The Connections Project aims to educate and equip facilitators with best practices that will reduce recidivism by helping to reconnect inmates with their families.
- TechSoup - Donated technology equipment priced for nonprofits.
- Corporation for National and Community Service - Can help your organization implement those projects or ideas that require special funding or assistance. Through programs and grants the CNCS provides people power to help you address the emerging needs of your community.
- HandsOn Network - Partners with nonprofit and government agencies to provide compelling volunteer opportunities and to effectively utilize the talents of people who serve.
- Senior Corps - Works with thousands of nonprofit organizations and local agencies - both secular and faith-based - to promote service opportunities for older Americans.