What is Capacity-Building?
Capacity-building is the way in which organizations build up their staff and organizational capacity to successfully run programs.
How will the Capacity-Building resources provided on this site help my organization?
National Fatherhood Initiative (NFI) wants your fatherhood program to be the best it can be, and reach as many dads as possible. The capacity-building resources provided here will help your fatherhood program succeed, thrive, and effectively serve fathers.
Where did these Capacity-Building resources come from?
The Capacity-Building resources provided here are the result of a partnership between NFI and with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Family Assistance called the National Responsible Fatherhood Capacity-Building Initiative (NRFCBI).
What was the goal of the NRFCBI partnership?
Ultimately, the NRFCBI aimed to strategically improve sub-awardees' capacity to provide services to local fathers and families. NFI designed the NRFCBI to aid grassroots and community-based organizations through a series of capacity-building grants.
These grants empowered community-based organizations by:
- Developing each recipient's organizational infrastructure
- Enhancing its leadership; introducing sub-awardees to new programming recommendations
- Improving each awardee's connections in the community-at-large
The resulting NRFCBI resources are provided to you free of charge to help your organization build capacity in order to create sustainable, successful fatherhood programs.
Free Capacity-Building Resources
We invite you to browse the following resources to aid in the capacity-building for your fatherhood programming.
- Tips for Organizations - Articles and resources designed for facilitators to help you expand and improve your programs and to help you connect fathers with their children
- Helpful Links - A list of links to resources and tools for such as board development, evaluation tools, federal grant resources, professional development, technology, and more
- Webinars - Recordings of past webinars that have been conducted by the Capacity Building Initiative
- Past Awardees - List and narratives of past Capacity-Building Initiative grants awardees representing community-based, faith-based and other grassroots organizations working with fathers in their communities
Evaluation of NRFCBI
The purpose of NRFCBI was to build capacity in four areas:
- Leadership Development
- Organizational Development
- Program Development
- Community Engagement
NFI evaluated the overall impact of the initiative and its impact in each of the four capacity-building areas using quantitative and qualitative research methods and analysis. NFI collected complete data on the impact of the initiative from the Year 1, 2 and 3 Sub-awardees (69 in total). The findings are striking and reveal the interconnected nature of the four capacity-building areas.