5 Tips to Make Holiday Traveling Easier
(While Getting Closer to Your Kids)
Are you looking for new ways to connect with your kids while traveling? Then look below for some great tips that will be fun for the whole family!
- How about a bubble gum blowing contest (if you’re brave enough)? Pick up a different or strange flavor at each rest stop and see who can blow the best bubble in the car.
- You all know about the license plate game where you see how many different states you can find. What about if someone in the car yells out the letter grouping they see on any license plate and everyone in the car has to come up with a phrase for those letters (e.g., DSY “Dinosaur Sighting Yonder”)?
- Teaming up by sides of the vehicle to count cows is always fun. Count fast if you pass a whole field and if you pass a cemetery on your side and someone on the opposing team yells “Your cows are buried!,” you lose your cows and have to start over. Team with the most cows wins.
- If your kids are old enough (and all “wackied out”) you can have fun teaching them mathematics by helping them calculate how many miles per gallon you’re averaging, how long it will take to get to your destination based on your average speed, or having them predict how much it will cost to fill up the tank based on the price per gallon.
- Transform a rest stop into a “play stop” by bringing a football to throw, Frisbee to toss, or soccer ball to kick. This will not only help your kids run off some energy, but stay physically fit as well.
Just remember, kids spell love T-I-M-E and traveling this holiday season provides a great opportunity to accomplish this. Who knows? You might even change your kid's question from “Are we there yet?” to “Are we here already?!”