5 Secrets of a Happy Home
Every dad wants to make his home a safe, stable place for his kids. Even if you don’t live with your kids, you can show them that you value them and provide stability for them with these five basics:
- Value and Appreciate Mom. Your relationship with mom is probably the first one your kids will see, and they’ll model how you talk to and treat each other. Make it a point to value and respect her, and communicate that to your children through words and actions.
- Show Love. You’ve heard the saying “actions speak louder than words” for a reason – many times they do! Kids spell love T-I-M-E so make sure to spend time with them doing special activities and attending school functions. Daily signs of affection – like hugs and kisses – are also important. And, of course, while actions do speak louder than words, kind words and “I love you”s are important for building your child’s worth and self-esteem.
- Teach Your Kids To See Through Others’ Eyes. Kids need to learn early on how to resolve conflict and get along with a variety of people. Modeling this for your children will also be a good reminder to you, and, when taken to heart, will help you keep conflicts from turning into huge arguments.
- Know That Your Kids Need You. Your sons will watch you to learn how to be men, and your daughters will watch you to learn how to be treated by men. You may feel more comfortable with your sons, or with your daughters, but it’s important to spend one on one time with both your boys and your girls, teaching them what it means to be a man.
- Look to the Future. You are not who you were yesterday. Don’t get stuck on past mistakes or decisions and always keep moving forward. It’s never too late to change, or to create a safe and happy home life for your family.
These five secrets will help you create a safe and happy home environment for your family with less stress and conflict for everyone.